Hearty and savory beefy zucchini casserole perfect for a filling family dinner. This recipe brings together great flavors with a wonderful crust topping. Ideal for serving any time of year.
If you are looking for a cozy, homestyle casserole to serve the family, you’re going to love this beef and zucchini casserole. It brings together so many great flavors and has that classic casserole texture.
It’s filling and always a big crowd pleaser. I’ve served this to guests and as a dish to pass, and I frequently get compliments and requests for the recipe.
Don’t forget to save or pin this recipe so you can make it again the next time you need a filling casserole dinner recipe.
When steaming your zucchini and onion, heat just until they become tender. This will allow them to continue cooking and spreading flavor when baked.Casserole Tip
Save this recipe for later: Italian soup with beef
How to Make a Homemade Zucchini Beef Casserole
Prep time take around ten to fifteen minutes and bake time is around a half an hour. You will need to brown and drain your beef as well as prepare your Stove Top according to the box instructions.
I prepare my stuffing and beef at the same time, then it’s on to assembling your casserole before baking.
Needed equipment is a skillet for browning your beef, a saucepan to make your stuffing, and a 13×11 or 13×9 baking dish.
Pin this recipe: Meatballs with mushroom soup
This ingredient list screams homestyle flavor. This recipe produces such a wonderful flavor that always reminds me of being home with my family.
It’s been in my regular dinner rotation for so many years, I’ve lost track. But it never fails to bring smiles to everyone’s face and full tummies all around.
Another tasty dinner recipe: Ground beef casserole
- Ground Beef (browned and drained)
- Zucchini (peeled and cubed)
- Onion (diced)
- Stove Top Stuffing (prepared according to box instructions)
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Bread Crumbs
Ground Beef: Start by browning and draining away the grease. Go with whatever ground beef is on sale.
Zucchini: Wash, peel, then cube your zucchini. You will steam your zucchini until tender before adding it to your other ingredients.
Onion: Dice your onion, then steam until tender, with your zucchini. I usually use a large yellow onion, but you can go with whichever type you prefer.
Mushroom Soup: Regular or low sodium can be used. I’m also not partial to any particular brand. I’ve used Campbell’s as well as store brand with great results.
Cheese: Shredded sharp cheddar is my favorite. You can go with mild if you prefer.
Stuffing: I usually use Stove Top sage stuffing. The flavor pairs wonderfully with our other ingredients and it’s super quick to make. I prepare my stuffing (according to box instructions) while my beef is browning.
Simple Step by Step Recipe Instructions
This beef casserole with zucchini not only tastes amazing, it’s also super easy to make. Once you have your beef, veggies, and stuffing prepper, it’s a simple job of assembling everything then off to the oven to bake!
Step 1: Brown beef and drain grease. Set beef aside.
Step 2: Prepare stuffing according to the instructions on the box.
Step 3: Steam diced onion and cubed zucchini until tender.
Step 4: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Step 5: Add mushroom soup, milk, and one cup of shredded cheese to onion and zucchini.
Step 6: Add stuffing to bottom of baking dish.
Step 7: Layer browned beef on top of stuffing. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on beef.
Step 8: Add zucchini and cheese mixture on top of beef.
Step 9: Last, add bread crumbs and remaining shredded cheese.
Step 10: Bake in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes. Your casserole is done baking when bubbling and cheese is melted.
Step 11: Rest for about 10 minutes, serve and enjoy!
Easy Beef Zucchini Casserole
- 1 Skillet
- 2 Saucepans
- 1 13×11 or 13×9 Baking Dish
- 1 lb Ground Beef browned and drained
- 1 medium Zucchini peeled and cubed
- 1 box Stove Top Stuffing prepared per instructions on box
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 Large Onion diced
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Bread Crumbs
- Brown beef and drain grease. Set beef aside.
- Prepare stuffing according to the instructions on the box.
- Steam diced onion and cubed zucchini until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Add mushroom soup, milk, and one cup of shredded cheese to onion and zucchini.
- Add stuffing to bottom of baking dish.
- Layer browned beef on top of stuffing. Sprinkle some salt and pepper on beef.
- Add zucchini and cheese mixture on top of beef.
- Last, add bread crumbs and remaining shredded cheese.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes. Your casserole is done baking when bubbling and cheese is melted.
- Rest for about 10 minutes, serve and enjoy!
Beef and Zucchini Casserole Recipe Notes
- Instead of steaming your onion and zucchini, you can cook them while browning your beef instead.
- Serve your casserole alone or with a fresh salad and buttered bread.
- Store your casserole covered in the refrigerator for up to four days.