Cheesy and flavor packed beef enchilada casserole using flour tortillas! This quick and easy recipe is a crowd pleaser and filling. Perfect for a homestyle family dinner.
This is a hearty dinner that’s is perfect for big family’s or if you want to have some leftovers for tomorrow’s lunch. It brings together simple ingredients for a great flavor and texture.
This is a super easy recipe to make and it has a quick bake time, so it’s great for when you want a quick dinner without sacrificing flavor.
Don’t forget to save or pin this recipe so you can find it the next time you want to make a homemade beef enchilada casserole.
I’ve found that flour tortillas work best for this casserole, but you can opt for corn tortillas if that’s all you have on hand.Casserole Tip
How to Make Homemade Beef Enchilada Casserole using Flour Tortilla Shells
I love the homestyle flavor of this casserole. It brings so many cozy ingredients together and it has long been a family favorite in my house.
It’s as simple as layering your ingredients and then baking. Prep time is just about ten minutes and bake time is a half an hour.
I think once you’ve tasted it, it will be one of your new family dinner favorites too.
This recipe brings together wonderful, savory flavors. It’s a great dinner for those cooler months, but can be made any time of year.
It’s filling and even my picky eaters ask for seconds!
- Ground Beef (browned and drained)
- Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Cream of Chicken Soup
- Taco Sauce or Enchilada Sauce
- Evaporated Milk
- Canned Chili Pepper (chopped)
- Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
- Flour Tortillas
Ground Beef: You will need to brown and drain of the grease. I tend to use whichever hamburger meat is on sale.
Soup: Use 1 regular sized can of cream of mushroom and cream of chicken soup. You will heat it with your milk before adding it to your browned beef.
Taco Sauce: You can use either taco sauce or enchilada sauce. Both work great so go with whichever you prefer. Spice level is also up to your personal taste preference. Use either two small cans of enchilada sauce or one regular size jar of taco sauce.
Evaporated Milk: This is added to your soup and then heated before being stirred into your browned beef. Use one regular sized can of evaporated milk, or you can use regular milk if that’s all you have on hand.
Chili Pepper: I use one can of chopped chili peppers. You can also chop whole canned chili peppers, or use fresh.
Flour Tortillas: I use medium sized flour tortillas. They will be layered with your other ingredients, but you can also fill them and line your baking dish with folded tortillas instead.
Cheese: I prefer sharp cheddar cheese, but you can use any good melting cheese for your casserole.
Simple Recipe Instructions
I think you are going to love how easy this recipe is to make. It’s as simple as browning your beef, heating your soup, and then layering your ingredients.
It’s quick, easy, and always produces great flavor. Make sure to prepare this when everyone is hungry, because it make a BIG casserole!
Step 1: Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
Step 2: Brown your ground beef, drain, and set aside.
Step 3: Add taco sauce and chopped chili peppers to browned beef.
Step 4: In saucepan, add soups and milk. Heat and stir until combined.
Step 5: Add soup mixture to beef.
Step 6: Add a layer of flour tortilla shells to baking dish, then meat mixture, and then shredded cheese. Do at least two full layers like this.
Step 7: Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
Step 8: Remove from oven and rest for about five minutes before serving.
Enchilada Casserole (With Flour Tortillas)
- 1 Large Skillet
- 1 Saucepan
- 1 13×9 Baking Dish
- 2 lbs Ground Beef
- 18 Medium Flour Tortillas
- 1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 jar Taco Sauce
- 1 can Evaporated Milk
- 1 can Chopped Chili Peppers
- 1 lb Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Brown your ground beef, drain, and set aside.
- Add taco sauce and chopped chili peppers to browned beef.
- In saucepan, add soups and milk. Heat and stir until combined.
- Add soup mixture to beef.
- Add a layer of flour tortilla shells to baking dish, then meat mixture, and then shredded cheese. Do at least two full layers like this.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove from oven and rest for about five minutes before serving.
Enchilada Casserole Recipe Notes
- Make sure to drain away the grease after browning your beef.
- Heat both your mushroom and chicken soup in milk before adding it to your beef.
- Bake your casserole until the cheese is melted.
- Allow to rest for about five minutes before serving.
- You can add a dollop of sour cream before serving.
- Store covered in the refrigerator for up to two days.
- Serve alone or with rice and beans.