Simple homemade skillet lasagna recipe packed with flavor. This recipe is one of my favorite lasagnas and it’s great for those hot summer days when you don’t want to turn on the oven.
This is one of my family’s favorite lasagna recipes. It brings together ground beef and a simple sauce with the perfect spice mix.
It’s much quicker than a traditional, baked lasagna and it offers a great, similar flavor. This is thanks to using medium egg noodles instead of traditional lasagna noodles.
They provide a great texture without needing to boil them ahead of time. Not only does this recipe taste great with a quick prep time, it’s super easy to cleanup as well. That makes it a regular recipe in my rotation.
Don’t forget to pin or save this recipe so you can find it the next time your family wants skillet lasagna.
Save this recipe for later: Sweet and sour meatballs with pineapple
How to Make Homemade Skillet Lasagna using Cottage Cheese
Total prep and cook time for this lasagna recipe comes out to less than a half an hour. It’s a great last minute dinner the family is certain to love.
I love the homestyle flavor of this lasagna. And cottage cheese creates such a lovely texture that pairs so well with lasagna.
Make sure to use a large, 12″ skillet. This recipe makes enough to serve six, so a smaller skillet won’t be big enough.
Save this recipe: Classic baked lasagna
Cottage Cheese Filled Skillet Lasagna Ingredients
If you are looking for a lasagna recipe that is packed with flavor, this is the recipe for you! So many recipes out there just turn out bland. But that’s not the case here.
The cottage cheese and herbs and spices come together for a great texture and flavor. It’s well worth making your lasagna from scratch, and I doubt you’ll go back to frozen lasagna ever again.
- Ground Beef
- Cottage Cheese
- Spaghetti Sauce Mix (dry)
- Onion (chopped)
- Tomato Sauce
- Medium Egg Noodles
- Canned Whole Tomatoes
- Dried Parsley
- Dried Basil
Ground Beef: You will brown your beef along with your onions. Then drain them before adding the rest of your ingredients.
Onion: I usually use white or sweet onion for this lasagna. Just peel and chop before starting your recipe.
Tomato Sauce: Any brand works. Get regular tomato sauce, and avoid low sodium or flavored varieties.
Cottage Cheese: I prefer whole fat cottage cheese. It produces a richer flavor and thicker texture. But if all you have is low fat cottage cheese, that works.
Medium Noodles: Medium egg noodles work perfectly for this recipe. But, I have made it with precooked lasagna noodles and it works fine. I just find the egg noodles work better when making skillet lasagna.
Herbs and Spices: I’ve experimented with my spice mix over the years and found that salt, basil, and parsley provides a wonderful, homestyle flavor. You can opt for other combinations or even just use an Italian spice mix instead. But go with the recipe if at all possible.
Easy to Follow Recipe Instructions
This recipe is so quick and easy to make! While most baked lasagna recipes take an hour or more to make, this recipe cuts that time in half.
And while I still make more traditional, baked recipes, this skillet lasagna is regular in my household.
Step 1: Brown your beef in your skillet along with your chopped onion then drain.
Step 2: Stir in tomato sauce and half of your spaghetti sauce mix.
Step 3: Spread your cottage cheese over the top of your sauce and beef.
Step 4: Add an even layer of noodles.
Step 5: In a small mixing bowl, stir together your remaining spaghetti sauce mix, whole tomatoes, and seasonings.
Step 6: Pour mixture over lasagna.
Step 7: Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Step 8: Turn off heat, sprinkle with cheese and cover and allow cheese to melt.
Step 9: Serve and enjoy!
Skillet Lasagna With Cottage Cheese
- 1 12" Skillet
- 1 Small Mixing Bowl
- 1 ½ oz Pack of Spaghetti Sauce Mix
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- ½ Cup Chopped Onion
- 8 oz Canned Tomato Sauce
- 2 Cups Cottage Cheese
- 4 oz Medium Egg Noodles uncooked
- 28 oz Canned Whole Tomatoes
- 1 Tbs Dried Parsley
- 1½ tsp Dried Basil
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Shredded Mozzarella Cheese
- Brown your beef in your skillet along with your chopped onion then drain.
- Stir in tomato sauce and half of your spaghetti sauce mix.
- Spread your cottage cheese over the top of your sauce and beef.
- Add an even layer of noodles.
- In a small mixing bowl, stir together your remaining spaghetti sauce mix, whole tomatoes, and seasonings.
- Pour mixture over lasagna.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Turn off heat, sprinkle with cheese and cover and allow cheese to melt.
- Serve and enjoy!
Skillet Lasagna Recipe Notes
- You can substitute the parsley and basil with Italian seasoning in equal amounts.
- White or sweet onion can be used.
- Whole fat cottage cheese is my preferred type but low fat can be used in a pinch.
- I like to set the table while my final layer of cheese is melting. It’s the perfect amount of time for it to get gooey and delicious.
- Store leftover lasagna covered in your refrigerator for up to three days.