This simple and quick stuffed pepper recipe is packed with flavor and made using canned Spanish rice. It can be made mild or spicy, so it’s a great version to make for any type of flavor preference.
This recipe is a great last minute dinner that is certain to be a big hit with the entire family. It only calls for a handful of simple ingredients and has a quick prep time.
It brings together green peppers with a beef and Spanish rice stuffing. Then topped with cheese and either ketchup or tomato sauce for a classic flavor.
Don’t forget to save or pin this recipe so you can easily find it the next time you want to make homemade stuffed green peppers for dinner.
To spice up your stuffed peppers, simply sprinkle a little chili powder into your browned hamburger. Add according to taste.Flavor Tip
How to Make Homemade Stuffed Green Peppers with Canned Spanish Rice
This is a great recipe to keep in your quick dinner rotation. It’s quite easy to make and can be made in less than a half an hour.
But don’t let the simplicity fool you into thinking the flavor is lacking. These stuffed peppers have a wonderful, homemade flavor that is sure to be a winner at your dinner table.
Try this great recipe later: Stuffed peppers without tomato sauce
Spanish Rice Stuffed Peppers Ingredients
Not only is this recipe quick and easy to make, it also only calls for simple ingredients. It’s affordable, and you just might have everything you need stocked in the kitchen already.
- Green Peppers
- Ground Beef
- Spanish Rice
- Shredded Cheese
Green Peppers: Use medium/large green peppers. Cut the tops off and remove all the seeds from inside and discard. You can use red bell peppers too. Try mixing and matching for an interesting presentation.
Ground Beef: You will want to brown your hamburger with your onions, then drain the fat. I usually use whatever ground beef is on sale.
Onion: Chop your onion and add them in while browning your beef. I usually use a medium yellow onion, but you can use your preferred type.
Spanish Rice: I like using canned Spanish rice. The flavor is great and it is super quick. You can also prepare a boxed Spanish rice mix. Just be sure to prepare it according to the instructions on the box before adding it to your beef and onion mixture.
Ketchup: I find the tang and sweet of ketchup to work quite well in stuffed peppers. But you can go with a can of regular tomato sauce if your prefer.
Cheese: I usually use sharp cheddar or a Mexican cheese mix. Both taste great. You will want to sprinkle your shredded cheese on just before popping your stuffed peppers in the oven.
Easy to Follow Instructions
I recommend browning your beef while your green peppers are boiling. This speeds up the cooking process and allows you to make this dish in about a half an hour.
Step 1: Add enough water to a pot to cover your peppers. Bring to a boil.
Step 2: Cut top off peppers and remove seeds. Carefully add to boiling water. Boil peppers for 10 minutes.
Step 3: While peppers are boiling, brown beef along with chopped onions. Drain away grease.
Step 4: Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Step 5: Add your Spanish rice to your browned beef. Add chili powder if desired.
Step 6: Place pepper, opening up, in your baking pan. Fill each pepper with ground beef and rice mixture.
Step 7: Pour ketchup (or tomato sauce) over your stuffed peppers.
Step 8: Sprinkle your shredded cheese on top.
Step 9: Bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes, or until your cheese is melted.
Step 10: Remove and rest for about 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Easy Stuffed Peppers (With Spanish Rice)
- 1 Stock Pot or Large Saucepan
- 1 Large Skillet
- 1 Shallow Baking Pan
- 5 Green Peppers top and seeds removed
- 1 Can Spanish Rice
- 2 lbs Ground Beef browned
- 1 Onion chopped
- Ketchup or Tomato Sauce enough to cover
- Shredded Cheese enough to cover
- Chili Powder to taste, optional
- Add water to pot, make sure it's enough to cover peppers. Bring water to a boil.
- Remove top and seeds from peppers. Place in boiling water carefully. Boil peppers for 10 minutes.
- Note: Begin the next step while peppers are boiling.
- Brown beef along with your chopped onion. Drain grease once done.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Stir Spanish rice into beef. Add chili powder to taste if desired.
- Arrange peppers opening up on baking pan. Spoon in rice mixture in each pepper.
- Over the top of your peppers, pour your ketchup or tomato sauce.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese evenly over top of peppers.
- Bake until cheese is melted, about 10 minutes.
- Remove from oven and rest for about 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!